Monday, September 25, 2006

Westlaw sources

Westlaw is a superb source for legal reference material, for the ever searching Ph.D. researcher as well as international lawyer, attorney or legal counsel who needs in-depth information on a foreign legal system or on international legal aspects.

However and this is a BIG HOWEVER, the user-interface, (I do not know if you still call it that - I am an attorney and not a computer wiz) is very confusing, difficult to steer through and when you finally find the publication you want, locating articles, sections or acts is another battle. Once everything has been completed and you take your eyes of the screen for a few minutes, to add to your text or ongoing work and return to Westlaw, it has most likely thrown you out again as "your session has timed out". Although in my thirties, I am not of the computer generation, but even if I say so myself, my computer skills would qualify as being in order. I therefore wonder how many and this I have personally encountered with my co-workers, especially of the aging generations, cope with navigating through this fine legal resource. The search functions have to be much more open, reviewing lists and indexes has to be much more accessible and in many ways if Westlaw were to incorporate a good library software searching this source could be much easier.

No comments: