Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The project

Having had the excellent fortune of teaming up with scholars and professionals at the forefront of European and International Corporate Governance for my PhD project, I am indulging myself in the luxury of spending most of my time actually reading and diving into textbooks within my favourite subject and area of practise during my 6 year spell as corporate lawyer at a major Scandinavian law-firm. Not to say that an LLM degree within the area of international business does not equip one to be capable of handling various corporate transactions and deals for the law firm’s clients, the demand for endless hours and task upon task, leaves very little room for dwelling on certain legal problems and ponder on issues, for the simple reason that they exist. I always thought that the bigger the law firm was and the more business it generated, the more time its professionals would have to work on cases, consider different angles to pursue, prepare negotiations and land deals. The reality I found was considerably different, the bigger the firm, the more drive for profit and thus longer and longer days. Time for theoretical thoughts and exercises is left to the time-off, which in turn if you are lucky and not divorced, is dominated by the family. To be back in school, to have all this time to think about and consider that which has been my area of practise, from a theoretical perspective, in stead of a business perspective, is something I recommend to all professionals who have the time and means to take a little time off.

No comments: